Ryan has secured millions of dollars in tax savings for Chrysler.
We are known for our ability to find tax recovery opportunities for our clients and to aggressively fight for those dollars, ensuring that no issue or opportunity for tax minimization is left unrealized. Last year alone, our multi-disciplinary approach resulted in $2.5 billion in tax savings for our premier global clients.
News & Insights
News & Insights
Ryan has demonstrated their value during our Texas sales and use tax engagement by not only identifying and obtaining material sales and use tax overpayments, but then assisting our plant personnel with material reductions of the proposed audit assessment.
We go beyond the expected and look for the exceptions that benefit our clients. By reviewing the exact time periods and types of tax as our competitors, we produce substantial additional results. We’re at our best when following other, less focused firms. And our competition doesn’t bother to follow us. We know of no instance where any of our competitors have produced meaningful tax savings after our review was complete.Unmatched Results
Ryan manages the audit process from beginning to end, ensuring that we minimize our client’s burden to the fullest extent possible. Our professionals handle the arduous process of producing records for the state and securing files required to build the case, determining which issues merit an appeal and the likelihood of success for each. We manage the day-to-day information flow between our client and the taxing authority to ensure timely, complete, and accurate responses and assist with accelerated dispute resolution processes to reduce the costs and other burdens associated with audit defense activities. As needed, we meet with auditors, dispute resolution officers, administrative hearings attorneys, and other agents to clearly identify all positions that impact our client’s ability to achieve a favorable outcome.
We understand the importance of constructive relationships with taxing authorities. We also understand that respect is earned. From informal conferences to administrative level appeals, our goal is to resolve tax controversies quickly and professionally. And when disputes can’t be resolved through simple negotiation, we’re prepared to fight for our clients’ interests for as long as it takes. Our Audit Representation provides a comprehensive range of services, including:
- Audit coordination
- Audit review and opportunity assessment
- Audit sampling analysis and evaluation
- Controversies and appeals
- Responses for information and document requests
- Risk assessments
- Tax audit representation
- Tax compliance and reporting evaluation
- Taxability determinations
- Voluntary disclosure and registration
Ryan’s industry-leading Sampling Analysis and Evaluation service has significant influence on the statistical and non-statistical sampling methods used by many taxing authorities. Our Sampling Analysis and Evaluation professionals work directly with clients on audit sampling issues, as well as support Ryan engagement teams with training and advice, the development of audit sampling plans and evaluations of samples, and preparing and analyzing population data files in preparation of sampling for auditing.
Leveraging years of experience comprehending the structure and methodology of audit examinations, we develop strategic tax reduction techniques that include expanded audit samples, post-audit stratification, and differential analysis, among others. It is our combined knowledge of tax law, audit strategy and methodology, and our emphasis on technical expertise, that help guarantee our representation is unmatched by any other firm.
Ryan provides our clients with solutions for all of their sampling analysis and evaluation needs, including:
- Design of audit sampling plans for our clients when the audit population consists of a large number of transactions
- Development and implementation of alternative sampling and statistical methodologies where state procedures are nonexistent, inadequate, or insufficient for audit sampling purposes
- Evaluation of audit sampling plans and methodologies proposed by state auditors to ensure that our clients' interests are protected during tax audits
- Presentations on sampling and statistical methods appropriate for sales and use tax audits to taxpayers, auditors, and professional organizations such as the Institute for Professionals in Taxation (IPT) and the Tax Executives Institute (TEI)
- Production of a comprehensive report that documents the development of every sampling plan created by the practice for its clients. The documentation process includes archiving all relevant files and databases, and the ability to replicate all random samples if requested by state auditors
At Ryan, we don’t simply review our clients’ records for tax recovery and tax-saving opportunities; we scour them. We understand the complex environments in which our clients operate. We understand the unique provisions of the tax codes in the jurisdictions where they conduct business. We stay current with the latest rulings and changes in tax law as they apply to our clients’ businesses. And our efforts translate into significant tax savings and superior results for our clients. Simply put, our commitment to excellence and utilization of sophisticated technology ensure that we’re more thorough, efficient, and effective than our competitors.
Ryan professionals target every possible tax refund and reduction opportunity for our clients. We commit every day to sifting through, drilling down, and peeling back the intricacies of federal, state, local and international tax to discover truly significant recovery opportunities. And we focus on reducing our clients’ tax liabilities with minimum disruption to their operations, requiring only limited effort from their personnel.
Ryan’s comprehensive methodology for collecting utility consumption data to identify existing and previous patterns of utility consumption in relation to the exemption process ensures accurate and thorough validation of exemption claims and utility refund applications. Our methodical approach includes:
- Annual updates or determination of credits where required
- Audit defense
- Claims for exemption to the utility vendor or taxing authority
- Claims for refund to the utility vendor or taxing authority
- Compliance reviews
- Compliance studies or documentation
- Corporate tax libraries of documentation
- Hourly, fixed, or contingency fees
- Replicate client studies maintained in archive
- Requests for letter rulings
- Tax research for specific processes or issues
Integrated End-to-End Tax Services
Ryan is focused on your overall tax performance—providing innovative solutions to the underlying causes of the errors we identify—and creating greater opportunities to measure and improve your efficiency, develop a more strategic approach to tax, and deliver outstanding value to your shareholders.